Moving to New York

June 3rd, 2008

new york, ny

Some of you have heard, some of you haven’t, but Jasmine and I are getting up next week (June 12th) and moving to New York.

The plan is to go on working for Flickr, and fly back to SF once a month or so. So if you could plan your camps/parties/meetups/conferences accordingly that would be swell.

Looking forward to seeing you all on the East Coast. (And while we haven’t really gotten a feel for the new apartment [in Williamsburg], its looking like we might even have something resembling a guest room.)

We’ll be driving back via the not most direct route (which will surprise no one who knows us) that takes us past the Grand Canyon, Austin, and New Orleans. (thats as far as the map I’m looking at goes) So any suggestions for anything from sights, to food, to places to stay, to good people along those stretches, to great audiobooks to fill up empty bits in the road are all appreciated.

20 Responses to “Moving to New York”

1. Gilad says:

Congratulations Kellan! I highly recommend any Bill Bryson, particularly “I’m a Stranger Here Myself” since you’re driving across the US, for an audiobook. Any idea when you will make it to NY?

2. Daniel Spils says:

Great news! Have a fun trip out there — June is a great month for driving across the US.

3. Ernie Oporto says:

And welcome to the East Coast. Where in NY will you be? I’m a hop and a jump away in NJ.

4. Fecho says:

Congratulations man… have a nice life

5. allspaw says:

Done cross-country 6 times before, and have lots of tidbits to tell you about highway 40.

Gilad: good chance I won’t be in NYC proper until July 1st, as I need to be back in SF for the week you’re here!

Daniel: thanks! I’m worried its going to be a bit hot as we’re taking a southern route.

Ernie: Brooklyn, but I think we’ll be stashing the car in NJ so we’ll be out that way periodically

allspaw: looking forward to it.

7. Maureen says:

I have a disc set of Murakami’s “After Dark” with your name on it. : ) Bon voyage.

@Maureen funny, I’ve got a bottle Semillon with your name on it!

9. Maureen says:

Oh, my good karma! I just came back on to ask if you needed help moving boxes.

10. xian says:

New York, just like I pictured it!

11. Brad says:

Congrats…enjoy the trip out there. Where in Brooklyn will you be?

12. Tim says:

Good luck in New York, and have a great trip out. I’m a Route 90 fan — Idaho, Montana, Yellowstone, etc — can’t help you with southern route recommendations.

Sorry we never did that lunch — maybe during one of your one week tours of duty back hear on the West Coast. But I greatly enjoyed your pictureless talk — you rocked in spite of the last minute catastrophe.

Take care, have fun, and do good.

13. Boris says:

Congrats! If you want free, public domain audio books: http://librivox.org http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/8327 (proud of mah budday!) :)

14. gus says:

Hey, my mom lives in Prescott, AZ, not far from the Grand Canyon (I think like half an hour). Probably you’re camping around there, but she might be able to put you up? And I think she recommends the Raven as a bar to go to in her town. It may even be run by someone who went to Hampshire, there was some confusion. A good brewpub.

Can’t wait to see you — let me know if there’s anything I can do to help you settle in.

15. Stewart Butterfield says:

I will hook you up with about 40 hours of Joe Frank’s radio show. It is the perfect driving audio as far as I’m concerned. We’ll need to meet up somewhere and remember a firewire cable.

16. Drop me a line if your path to NOLA goes through NC. I have to admit, our “guest room” is full of junk, but we have decent accommodations and are glad to share.

Ruby, will do. Not sure I’m going to make it that far before I have to pull the eject lever and fly back to SF. Jasmine might be doing the last leg without me.

18. Luke Melia says:

Looking forward to having another good web guy in NYC. I’m a fan of both the blog and flickr and would be happy to buy you a welcome beer when you get settled.

19. Todd says:

If in Austin at dusk, check out the bats that live under the congress ave bridge.

20. [...] like I am not the only one getting in on the action right now.  Kellan is on the way too. In a way it is going to be like refugees from the NW and West, but I am sure we [...]