Nostalgia

September 30th, 2008

You remember those dark days after the first bust?

You know the ones when all the MBAs left, and the people who loved the Web went on building it — building meaningful, crazy, artistic cool stuff, and the ethos of the social web was born, back before when that meant more then widget crazy/Facebook-tulip-bloom-madness. Yeah, that sure sucked.

Just thinking about it in the light of this week’s market silliness is enough to make me want to go back to SxSW again this year (where the torch was kept alight, like Ireland in the Dark Ages). And I’d sworn off it after this last year, but maybe budgets will be contracting again by then. And those projects that got started out in the darkness, say Flickr, and Upcoming and del.icio.us among others, wasn’t it all much better when the market got back involved and they got serious?

At least thats what reading Fred and Jason on “startup depression” reminded me of.

8 responses to “Nostalgia”

1. Julien says:

I know at least a startup that is going to SxSW with no budget contraction, for sure, and you know it too!

2. […] Nostalgia – Laughing Meme "You know the [dark days] when all the MBAs left, and the people who loved the Web went on building it — building meaningful, crazy, artistic cool stuff, and the ethos of the social web war born, back before that meant more then widget crazy/Facebook-tulip-bloom-madness. Yeah, that sure sucked." (tags: web business downturn boom bust startup creativity ) […]

3. Andy Baio says:

Whatever I do next, I’m just going to call it a website. Calling it a “startup” attracts an ugly crowd and a nasty set of expectations.

4. Ben Brown says:

Andy, you should call it a homepage!

I agree totally with this post. We are at a point once again where there are a lot of amazing tools and techniques out there that are just being applied to the same old problems, over and over again. We need something that will force the industry to take a step back and evaluate how we are spending our time.

Except we need a version of the word “homepage” that speaks to the collective experience instead of the personal.

6. Ryan says:

I suggest “roampage” or “groanpage”.

A more intimate creative SXSW would be nice, thought I’m planning on skipping out this year in the wake of my soon-to-be-born first child. And with so many more people online now than in mid 2000, it’ll be interesting to see what a collective step back would look like for the modern web.

7. […] classic: Prime Number Shitting Bear. A creation born in those goofy and weird no-more-money post dot-boom days, before everything needed to have a weblog, required to have ad words, and had to be […]

8. Matt Webb says:

woo :) I am enthused.

The Web becoming money+culture popular weirded me out. Imagine if you discovered your favourite hobby and personal mode of expression was crochet, and nobody understood what you were on about and teased you about it… and then five years later CROCHET TOOK OVER THE WORLD and everyone was talking about it (and money) all the time. You’d be like: wtf, where is my beautiful outlet?

Except this ludicrous metaphor falls down because there are a dozen magazines about crochet, craft culture is the new huge thing, and I hear Rupert Murdoch is about to splurge a trillion dollars on a site where a boat-load teenagers do knitting.